Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Sheesh.

I work retail. This means one really big sacrifice in my life; If it's Saturday or Sunday, I'm usually working. And my wife and friends are not. But there is another side to this lifestyle. I get a firsthand glimse into the world of A LOT of weird people who wander the greater Seattle area during the week. (I realize the implication that I am probably a member of this club so please do not call attention to it)

Today I found myself at Safeway purchasing light bulbs and antacids. (Case in point) My adventure began when I rounded a corner and was greeted to a very beautiful woman bending over (and not at the knees) placing us both in a very compromising position. I should at this point clarify that most people I encounter in my neighborhood during the week are 1. Women 2. Beautiful Women and 3. Married to Rich Husbands explaining their not being employed when we cross paths. This particular woman, upon realizing the levity of the moment, turned beet red and apologized. I replied that it was quite all right and that "these things happen." I continued on to registers.

Upon my arrival in the checkout line two women stood before me. And they were doosies. It was obvious to all that the first woman had jogged or walked briskly to the Safeway. She was sporting bicycle shorts, a windbreaker, new running shoes and a decent gleen of sweat. Her purchase? Two packs of Marlboro Reds. At the moment, the transaction didn't seem quite right and having the entire day to consider it, it still doesn't.

Lady number one, barely exiting before lighting the fruits of her labor, made way for the next mind-boggling customer; A woman wearing a thick parka. Okay, I will admit that I live in Seattle and it can get VERY cold, but not today. It is safe to say that the weather was pretty nice as I was wearing shorts and flip-flops. Not only was this woman wearing a winter coat, she complained to the checker that it was TOO COLD today. Most supermarket cashiers will buy into any conversation you throw at them, but ours was visibly shaken by the comment. She didn't know how to respond and therefore didn't at all. Instead, she stared at the woman for a few seconds and then looked back at me. My raised eyebrows seemed to put her at ease.

What does this all mean? Hell, I don't know. Maybe it just another chapter in the life I have created for myself and, honestly, I don't know how much longer I can take it.

3 Comments:

Blogger Justin Cooley said...

carry a camera with you everywhere

6:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I go to that Safeway...I can't wait for summer!

6:37 PM  
Blogger Justin Cooley said...

someone post a comment here for me to be dismissive about

2:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home