Friday, April 07, 2006

What I Did With My Thursday Afternoon

Federalcheese network all-star, Adam Wujick and I attended a showing of the concert film, “Neil Young: Heart of Gold” yesterday and, all in all, it was a good show. Neil played some new stuff, some old stuff and even covered a few from his Canadian youth. Still as humble as ever, Neil paid homage to his influences, prime among them being Hank Williams. Still I felt the movie lacked a certain spark; It never seemed to get going. The film attempted to depict Young at a crossroads in his career. It’s possibly the last tour for Young, possibly the last album and he’s kicking it off in the Capital of Country, Nashville, Tennessee. Young and his band sound great, but rough editing and unmotivated cinematography kept the performances from gelling into something special. In the end, it was Neil Young, alone with the guitar that Hank Williams himself played, that proved to be the most memorable of the scenes.

Adam and I had fun, pointing out that, when your Emmylou Harris, you’ve earned the right to sit next to Neil and just play one chord (G, which is my favorite). We walked home from downtown Seattle all the while doing our best to imitate Young’s patented high notes. Young’s mother once remarked that she thought her son sang very well, but in a key that didn’t exist. But all of this got me thinking; maybe it’s time for a federalcheese Top-Ten Favorite Albums of All-Time list.

So, here are my picks, but I warn readers that my selections are just that . . .my selections. Some stand on their own, while others were chosen for sentimental reasons. The major factor in creating this list is the test of time. I chose albums that I may have listened to over and over again, but can come back to years later without missing a beat. Whatever the criteria, all deserve a place on this list.

1. Neil Young – Harvest (I know, I know)
2. Led Zeppelin – II
3. Radiohead – O.K. Computer
4. Modest Mouse – The Lonesome Crowded West
5. Steely Dan – Aja
6. The Beatles – Rubber Soul
7. Bruce Springsteen – Born to Run
8. Elvis Costello – My Aim is True
9. Beck – Mutations
10. Built to Spill – Perfect From Now On

Honorable Mention: Elliot Smith – Either/Or & X/O, Beck – Sea Change, Wilco – Being There (disk 1), Pavement – Brighten the Corners, Steely Dan – Can’t Buy a Thrill

The Doors self-titled first album was in consideration, but I HATE “Light My Fire” and therefore left The Doors off my list.

And lastly, thanks Mom, for letting me listen to your record collection and tune out the family for a big chunk of time during my childhood. I’m a better person for it.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

In no particular order:

Dark Side of the Moon, Pink Floyd
Badmotorfinger, Soundgarden
Nebraska, Bruce Springsteen
Let it Bleed, Stones
Way to Blue, Nick Drake
Blood on the Tracks, Bob Dylan
Bookends, Simon and Garfunkel
Nothing Shocking, Jane's Addiction
Led Zeppelin III, Led Zeppelin
The Joshua Tree, U2
Live at Leeds, The Who

Number 11: Neil Young Decade, Pink Floyd Wish You Were Here, Tool Undertow, Springsteen Tunnel of Love, Rush 2112, Alice in Chains Jar of Flies, Pearl Jam Live at the Gorge 2005, if you let me I will go on forever. Maybe I should get my own blog, and stop using Willie's.

Hey Justin(s), looking forward to hanging out next week.

12:14 PM  
Blogger Justin Cooley said...

There is no Justin, there is only Zuul.


Top Ten album lists are always really tough. Do you sprinkle in "Classics" that you don't actually listen to so that you appear well-rounded? How about things you used to listen to all the time but now get skipped when they pop up in iTunes? Case in point, I was the blackest 9th grader at Atascadero High and Public Enemy's "It Takes a Nation of Millions..." was in my discman all the time. Now? Not so much. I am going to try to avoid any sort of posturing. In that spirit, it gives me a warm feeling to think that Adam is listening to Alice in Chains.

No order intended (or should be inferred):

Pavement "Slanted and Enchanted"

Steely Dan "Gaucho"

Spoon "A Series of Sneaks"

Silver Jews "The Natural Bridge"

Rolling Stones "Let it Bleed"

Pavement "Wowee Zowee"

Death Cab for Cutie "Something About Airplanes"

Arab Strap "Mad for Sadness" (Only one live album allowed)

Modest Mouse "The Lonesome Crowded West"

Decemberists "Castaways and Cutouts"

Spoon "Gimme Fiction"

--Okay the Stones album feels a little bit like posturing, but it's also really good. And I made it eleven in case one of these doesn't count.

5:45 PM  
Blogger Bill Eseltine said...

For The Stones, I'd choose "Let it Bleed" as well. Some may know that the Red Cross used "Gimmie Shelter" as it's theme song a while back, but did they know it was on the album. . ."Let it Bleed?" Um. . . I am monkeey, I am a monkeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey!

10:11 PM  
Blogger Bill Eseltine said...

I'm also getting real bad at the its v. it's recently. Sorry.

10:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When people ask me what new bands I listen to, I say "Pearl Jam." These are really the albums that I still love and listen to. Of course, most of what I listen to these days are what I am trying to learn to play on the harmonica or guitar, or playlists I make when I am drunk.

Keep up the good work Willie.

6:28 PM  
Blogger Justin Cooley said...

I need to buy as many 1988 Donruss Melido Perez baseball cards as humanly possible, in bulk if they offer it. How do I do this.

7:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bill, This is Uncle Paul checking in with a favorites list. This is pretty much off the top of my head. When I saw that Let It Bleed was on a few lists, I had to say something. That is also my favorite Stones album ( I literally wore out the record).
The White Album, Beatles
Are You Experienced?, Jimi Hendrix
1st Album, Paul Butterfield Blues Band
Bitches Brew, Miles Davis
Paranoid, Black Sabbath
How Will I Laugh Tommorow..., Suicidal Tendencies
Animals, Pink Floyd
Hounds Of Love, Kate Bush
The Whole Story, Kate Bush
Arise, Sepultura
Houses Of The Holy, Led Zeppelin

8:08 PM  
Blogger Bill Eseltine said...

Houses of the Holy? Get the hell outta here.

9:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just noticed Kate Bush and Sepultura. Somebody has to say something.

And "Animals"? Nice touch. "I don't feel alone, or the weight of the stone, now that I've found someplace safe, to bury my bone". Roger Waters, you old dog you. How come I cannot see you in concert for less than $150 you jackass?

7:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm adding KT Tunstall, Eye To The Telescope

11:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home