Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Sad news from the baseball front

So, I was planning out the forthcoming "Collected Works of Federalcheese" when I heard that Kirby Puckett died. I later learned that long-time Giants starter Kirk Rueter (pronounced Reeter) had retired. I know these two events will only mean something to baseball fans, but both Puckett and Rueter represent a bygone era in the sport. While Puckett always seemed a bit overweight and Rueter awkward looking and bald, both were considered by those in the business to be "gamers." That is to say they came at you with everything they had, everyday. It wasn't about fame or fortune. It wasn't about impressing the media or starring in a commercial. It wasn't about anything but winning games.

Those who know me know that I am not a big guy. As a player, I was never known for my overwhelming power. I was able to make my way onto teams in high school and college simply because I always gave my all. I knew that I couldn't throw harder than the next guy, nor could I hit a ball any further, but no one was ever going to question my effort. Puckett and Rueter were proof that that kind of play could pay off.

The last decade has seen the rise of the pure power player. Millions have gone and will continue to go to the park for the sole reason of seeing the home run, the "big fly," the Ya-Ya," the "donger." Steroids have fueled this craze and most fans don't seem to care. I hope that someday they will. I hope that someday baseball will be about baseball again. I hope that someday guys like Puckett and Rueter will be recognized, not for how many home runs they hit or how fast they threw, but for how they approached and respected the game. They will be recognized for showing us all what can be achieved through simple determination.

0635202027_kirby

Kirby Puckett was named to the All-Star team ten times, won two World Series and hit .318 during a twelve year career with the Minnesota Twins. He died March 6th following a stroke. He was 45.

ph_news_rueterk_288_061201

Kirk Rueter had a record of 130 wins and 92 losses during his 13-year major league career. His teammates nicknamed him "Woody" because of his resemblance to the character of the same name in the movie "Toy Story."

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Donger"? That should be the name of our band. Have you decided if you are going to ruin your knees in that adult league? I am sure they could use a gamer.

What about that Neil Young movie on Saturday? Or Leilani bowling and karaoke? Ginj and I could do a duet of "Close My Eyes Forever."

6:09 PM  
Blogger Housman said...

Are you seriously reading "the duty of genius"? Is Chris Gibson speaking to you from beyond the dark waters?
Good luck with that one. And on the baseball front, i couldnt agree more. My Favorite player not named Shawn Green has always been Jeff Reboulet.

8:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home