Thursday, January 31, 2008

In which I witness Barack Obama's dream firsthand

If you have ever listened to Barack Obama speak you know that race is a big theme. He talks about what can be accomplished if we bridge the racial divide between blacks and whites in this country. He even asks if such a divide actually exists or is it just a construct of the media. Well, in a progressive city like Seattle, Obama's dream of racial harmony is closer than one might think. Take a ride on the bus for example.

Anyone who has rode on a bus in an urban environment knows the "hoodlums" usually congregate towards the back. This creates a dilemma in many public transportation riders. Do you stand towards the front of the bus or do you sit in back with the gang bangers? I usually choose to sit. Recently, while sitting in the back of the bus, I was witness to a middle aged white man trading a couple black teens a bottle of Tanqueray for two buds of marijuana. Today was no different. As I boarded the bus I noticed many standing in the aisle while several seats in back remained unoccupied. I made my way through the standing cowards and sat down. Before the bus had even left the stop a young white male, his growth obviously stunted by early cigarette smoking, began talking about how his car was impounded recently. Of course, he blamed the President. He went so far as to cite Bush as the reason he has resorted to selling drugs to make ends meet. At this comment I could actually see the ears perk up on several of the black teens sitting within earshot. It occurred to me that drug deals happen more often than not during my bus trips. A few phone numbers were exchanged and as far as I know everybody is stoned right now. Will Obama get this young man's car out of the impound lot or will Obama embrace this newfound entrepreneurship of racial harmony? Only time will tell.

7 Comments:

Blogger Justin Cooley said...

In this post I believe I see an opportunity for Bill to supplement his income.

1:00 PM  
Blogger Wuj said...

Willie, I find this post interesting, because you refer to yourself in the 3rd person. You also finally address the fact that your growth was stunted at an early age by cigarette smoking. Also, which car did Bush impound? The Acura or the truck?

8:24 AM  
Blogger Justin Cooley said...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illeism

9:35 AM  
Blogger Justin Cooley said...

If you're asking, I think that the first JBC icon is for when I am shocked or amazed at a post. The second JBC icon is for when I am sort of "ehh.."

9:36 AM  
Blogger Bill Eseltine said...

"Geraldo Rivera is a very well known illeist."

9:43 AM  
Blogger Wuj said...

I am glad to see "The Jimmy" made the list of all-time illiests. "Jimmy isn't threatened by Hank's sexuality."

1:42 PM  
Blogger Justin Cooley said...

Fuck it. I'm rooting for the Giants.

3:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home