Thursday, December 30, 2004

Let it rain

As I sit here, the creek behind my house is rising. It breached its banks about an hour a go and continues to rise. It is quite a sight really. All of the debris and trash that has accumulated over the past year along the creek has come flooding by, soon to end up in the Pacific. Ah well, it's beautiful anyway. I miss the rain. The sounds and smells. I miss the trickling of water down the drainpipe as it lulls me to sleep. I miss the feeling a rainstorm gives me as I strive to make it home in the evening. The feeling that a hot shower will never feel as good again and that cup of tea will never be savored in quite the same way. I once looked forward to a good cigarette in the rain. It still sounds nice, but I have given that up. . .for the most part. Most will tell you that we need the rain, but once it comes, can't wait for it to stop. To them, I say you are missing one of the greatest spectacles on this earth. Water falling from the sky to wash away the ills of this world. It gives us the chance to begin again, fresh and clean, and set in motion the process once more, until the next rain. At the very least, maybe the creek will be spared the community's trash for a few days.

2 Comments:

Blogger Evan Jones said...

Beautifully written. Once you've lived on a creek that fills in winter, everything else seems bland. Amie and I lived at different points along the same creek in Silverado. We watched it rise to an alarming height one year. Silverado we don't miss very much, but the creek we miss every time it rains. Thanks for your insight.

8:41 PM  
Blogger Justin Cooley said...

Billy,

I am writing to say that I am all about the rain. Rain allows me to wear about six shirts at once. I think you know my policy: The more clothes the better.

p.s.
Tell Pancho to get his water wings.

11:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home