Monday, December 20, 2004

How did I get here?

I have recently given up cable TV. The decision was made by my wife and I in order to combat the speed in which we are becoming everything we hate about this country. And it is hard. Even now I am watching the Today Show (We still get NBC) and Chris Issak performing Christmas songs. Oy. In fact, writing this has inspired me to turn off the TV and listen to the radio instead. Hold on. . . Ok. The addiction to TV is worse than alcohol and cigarettes in many ways. It is a mechanism to dull the brain, but it is so much more. I turn on the TV when alone in the house because I find it hard to have silence. It is also an easy excuse to do nothing. Turning on the TV enables me to forget about everything I should be doing and there are so many more constructive things I could be doing. Reading a book, playing the guitar, finally finishing that Sherman tank model I started ten years ago, or adding to Federalcheese. I guess I'm more like people in the red states than I want to believe.

1 Comments:

Blogger Evan Jones said...

Watching TV is not "doing nothing." If you have the time, you might look at a piece I did on December 14 called simply Television. It was written in response to a grad student at Penn State calling himself Hey Paul, who actually comes from Arroyo Grande. He found my blog through a photo group on flickr that posts pictures of San Luis Obispo, and we have been commenting on each other's blogs ever since. I don't agree with everything he says, but I do think he's worth the read. You can find his blog here.

2:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home