Friday, March 16, 2007

While I come up with new quiz topics

1565119762.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_

All baseball fans need to read Three Nights in August by Buzz Bissinger. It is awesome. Now, I grew up a Giants fan which means, to a certain degree, I'm not supposed to like Tony LaRussa. He was the manager of the Oakland A's during some of their great years of late including 1989 and the World Series victory over a team we won't mention right now. But none of that matters after reading this book. LaRussa is the antithesis to Billy Beane and the recently fired Dodgers GM, Paul De Podesta's Moneyball theory that is slowly taking over the American League. But above anything else, Three Nights in August is one of most enlightening and well written baseball books you'll ever read.

And the answer to the previous quiz is: Willie Mays

3 Comments:

Blogger Wuj said...

I like Larussa because of his animal rights work.

What was the name of Wesley Snipe's character in "Major League"?

Without google or IMDB!

5:00 PM  
Blogger Justin Cooley said...

Willie Mays Hayes.

I know because I used to make that version of the indians in NES Baseball Stars. OK.

8:59 AM  
Blogger Housman said...

I cannot defeat the Lovely Ladies no matter what. Unless I use the American Dreams, which seems like cheating. Sometimes, if I am very aggressive on the base paths, I can come to within 1 or 2 runs, but those ladies in pink can fucking pitch.

Also: How do you rank "Ball Four" in the category of best baseball books ever written?

5:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home